McCall's 5753: The Perfect Dress?‏

I think it might be!  I am so happy with how this dress turned out after all the work.






Please ignore the sitting-at-a-desk-all-day wrinkles!

The pattern, of course, is McCall's 5753.  I added the cap sleeves from Butterick 5316.  I used those instructions to make the dress, as it explains how to insert the lining by machine. Why do patterns still recommend inserting a bodice lining by hand?! 


The fabric is a shimmery turquoise and gold/cream woven blend from Paron's in NYC ($14/yard) which I purchased last summer. I had been so excited to sew with it since I bought it.



This project has been really fulfilling - I used a stash fabric I've been fantasizing about for almost a year, and of course, I began learning fitting techniques.



I think I've found the perfect sheath dress pattern: the low neckline, darts instead of princess seams (to me, darts are less distracting when sewing with prints), no strange finishing instructions (like using purchased seam binding on the armscye - shame on you McCall's 5972!) and options for front pockets and sleeve variations. I plan to make so many more versions of this dress. This blog may get very boring...