Finished!: Butterick 5285 skirt

Despite taking over a foot of width off the front and back of this skirt, it's still rather crazy poufy.  This cotton sateen drapes like cotton duck!  I've learned a valuable lesson: fabric matters.  Yes, it has taken me this long to grasp that.  I don't think one has to slavishly follow the pattern's suggestions, but I do need to think carefully about drape before embarking on a project. 

Really, it's not that bad, but I just don't know where I'd wear this.  It's too wide for work, but too prim for casual-wear. 


 
I have since swept under the sofa - yeesh!

The back is still extreme.  The thickness of the cotton makes it very stiff:






I tried topping the skirt with a cardi (short and long) and it just doesn't seem to work.  My kind husband texted me today that he saw a girl wearing a similar wide skirt...  I dunno, I'll keep it in the closet for awhile... I will let you know if I do wear it!

To end on the positive side, the top I'm wearing with the skirt - Simplicity 2599 - has turned out to be a favorite.  I wear it constantly!  When I spot it in the closet I don't think "I made this" but instead: "Ooo yay, this top!  I should wear this today!"  It's definitely a pattern worth trying if you need a fun shell for work (or casual-wear: check out the version MushyWear just posted).