Full Skirt Obsessing

I thought the Butterick 5285 gathered skirt was a total lost cause, but thanks entirely to your kind words and encouragements, I ripped the whole thing apart and took more width off the sides (twice), and put it back together (twice). 



I think it turned out fine.  Unquestionably, I made the wrong fabric choice.  It still has crazy poufiness in the back.  But you all seemed to like the craziness, so I'm going to wear it; if I'm laughed at, it's your fault!  I need to finish the closure and hand-hem it - I promise pics by the end of the week.

* * *

Despite Butterick 5285's lackluster end result, I'm obsessing over full skirts for fall.  I'm excited at the thought of sewing up wide, blousy skirts to replace my pencil skirts, which seem yawn to me right now.  I can't stop thinking of Tasia and Ali's versions, using McCall's 5803, so I ordered the OOP Hilary Duff pattern from Ebay.



So I'll have a gathered or pleated full skirt pattern, but I want more!

You noted that the lovely Louis Vuitton below is a circle skirt (not gathered, doh!):


Louis Vuitton Fall 2010 RTW, style.com

But what about this Oscar de la Renta number?  I think it's a bias skirt?:


Oscar de la Renta Fall 2009 RTW, style.com

As is this Louis Vuitton dress?  (Seriously, is this not the perfect outfit: the dress, the cardi, the colors, the shoes?  Heaven):


Louis Vuitton Fall 2010 RTW, style.com

Is it a dress with a bias cut skirt?

My goal  is to make versions of these skirts for fall.  I may try my hand at making my own circle skirt pattern, though I do adore this vintage pattern.  Do you have a bias cut skirt pattern recommendation?  Any other full skirt types I haven't thought of?