Almost at the end of my one year challenge + honesty time

I am almost to the end of one year of sewing my own clothes!

I'm sure you're curious whether I really didn't buy any new clothes: truly, I was pretty good! I previously 'fessed up to buying a coat at the A.P.C. outlet in Paris in November.  Also, I did break down and buy 3 merino cardigans from Nordstroms in March.



I was desperate for spring-color sweater cardis, which I can't sew... I bought 3 colors of the same style, so can we pretend that it was one transgression? And really, that was it!  I'm proud of myself for sticking (for the most part) to my goal.

I was hoping that I'd begin wearing many of my own pieces as the year went on, but, to be honest, not all of the pieces I've made this year have went into regular wardrobe rotation. There are a few reasons for this: (1) some pieces were a flop, and (2) I wasn't sewing for my life or wardrobe.

Reason #1 is pretty obvious. Not only were some projects a failure, but my early garments weren't of the best construction. I'm not beating myself up - I was a complete novice at apparel sewing! There is a learning curve, and I think I'm now on the upward swing of it (despite recent poor fabric/pattern choosing - while I admit the skirt does look rather cute in the photos, I just can't bring myself to wear it!). 



For example, I could not figure out what underlining (EDIT: understitching!) was when I first started sewing. But now I think it is the most important construction step (after pressing, of course). I've learned to sew French seams, and have begun doing them on the interiors of dresses and linings.


I also think it looks more professional to match the invisible zipper to a project's colors, even though just the pull is seen. These techniques make a piece look and seem more RTW, and make me want to grab them out of my closet.

Reason #2 needs explaining: I bought patterns or material because I loved the style or fabric, for that reason alone, without much thought to what I really wear. For example, I purchased a gorgeous, soft, high-quality thick satin from WinMil which I turned into this Cynthia Rowley shift:


But I haven't had the occasion to wear it. I'm a suburbanite, and very rarely go to cocktail parties or clubbing (instead, I like to sit at home and sew on a Friday night, heh heh). Or this sheath dress in the awesome jungle-esque material: the material is a bit much for work, but the shape is too stuffy for going out/casual wear.  Not a good fabric/pattern match.


I will get so much more mileage out of my hard-sewn pieces if I carefully consider whether I'd really wear the piece (Where? With what shoes? What pants? Etc.). While I might want a jungle print dress, if I'm never going to wear it, it's a waste of my money and time.

I don't think one should sew only black pencil skirts and button-ups, ignoring that special occassion dress pattern, or passing on a lovely faux fur for a shrug that will only be worn a few times. But if you're aiming to build a better wardrobe via sewing, "I will sew for my real life!" has to be your mantra.

I've been thinking a lot about what my future approach to sewing will be… thoughts on that soon!