Details of Simplicity 2599 Top


We luckily made it to and from England without any volcanic interference.  In fact, we had amazing weather - in the mid 80's in London, and only a day and a half of rain throughout the rest of the week.  Despite my fears, we adjusted to left-sided driving.  While the roundabouts were shockingly easy (why don't we have them in the US?  So much better than stoplights!), the tight, narrow roads, flanked by high hedgrows, took some getting used to.  Some "roads" were essentially Victorian-era, one lane cart paths that were supposedly 2 lane roads.  My cousin said that an oncoming car often has to reverse backwards down a lane to allow the other car to get through, which can lead to show-downs as to who is going to back out.  And I thought my commute was bad!

Here are more pictures of Simplicity 2599, the top I made before left:




As you can see, it's not a particularly fitted top.  In fact, it doesn't look particularly flattering in the first picture!  But the blousiness makes it more casual than a fitted shell like McCalls 5661 (which I made last year). 

I originally cut this in a size 10, C cup (this pattern has cup size variations, a lovely bonus) but it looked huge when held up to a RTW shell in my closet.  I cut down to a size 8, but when sewn the top was a bit tight at the hips.  To loosen the area, I ripped out the (French!) seams 3 inches up the sides, and made vents.



I lazily finished the top closure with a snap (hidden in the picture below) as I made an error in the placement of the button loop when stitching.  It can be seen peeking out at the top of the seam!



This pattern is easy and basic, and should work in both casual and dressy fabrics; it's a definite-make again. Perhaps my next version will be the view with cascading ruffles. 

* * *

Are you ever inexplicably attracted to an incredibly random pattern?



This arrived in my mailbox from Ebay today.  It's a double-breasted, poufy-sleeved, tunic-length blouse.  I am strangely drawn to its uber-low cut neckline.  New patterns wouldn't have the guts!  I can see myself it for fall in the cream silk (perhaps this crepe de chine from Gorgeous Fabrics).  Camisole underneath optional: it is an 80's pattern after all.