Project flop: Butterick 5285 full skirt

This one is all my fault: I was bad and made up Butterick 5285 in a navy cotton sateen when the pattern calls for lightweight fabrics.





After putting this together, I found out why the pattern calls for lightweight fabrics: significant gathering is required, and the (admittedly) thick cotton sateen made the skirt blousy to the extreme.  I spent an evening ripping the skirt apart, took 6 inches (3 inches each side) off the back, and stiched it back together.  The result is still craziness:



At first I thought (more likely, tried to convince myself) that the front was cute, but it is nuts, too:



I wanted it to be this Louis Vuitton:



But it turned out this Louis Vuitton...:

Images from style.com

Not good.

I would really like a full skirt for summer, and I adore the shape of this skirt.  While the pattern is very easy to work with, I think it has an inherent flaw: it would require a really lightweight fabric, but it doesn't call for a lining, so the skirt would be see-through.  Lining the skirt might make it too thick for the gathers.

I have Simplicity 2413 in my pattern stash, and I may sew the full skirt in that pattern.  But for now, the poor navy sateen is in a pile on the sewing room/guest room floor....